While it is very difficult to give general guidelines because interviews can be very unpredictable, there are certain DOs and DONTs that can definitely be followed: -
- Always be punctual – Arrive for the meeting at least 10 minutes before the scheduled time.
- Be well groomed and dressed – While not all interviews and companies will have a formal dress code prescribed, we feel it is always a good practice to be well groomed and well dressed for an interview, as it is a direct sign of your interest level in the job.
- Prepare your introduction – While it is difficult to judge what an interviewer may ask you, the most common question interviews begin with is your introduction. Make sure you have a short introduction prepared which highlights the key points you want the interviewer to ask you about.
- Be well prepared – Never go to an interview unprepared. Read well about the company, the sector it is working in, and the key responsibilities of the profile you are applying for.
- Don’t bring up the salary – Don’t bring up compensation related matters in between the interview; always wait for the interviewer to bring them up.
- Smile and be confident! – What is perhaps most important in an interview is to smile and be confident of yourself – everyone loves a pleasant and confident interviewee!